[Samba] OpenLDAP and Samba - password expiration.

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell jools at oss4all.plus.com
Sat Dec 31 10:36:08 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a Samba PDC with an LDAP backend.  Yesterday, I tried to add a new
machine to the network and received the following message:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain:

The password of this user has expired

Not a problem I thought, and then ran

smbldap-usermod -e "2010-12-30 00:00:00" root

to extend the password date.  If I now try to connect a machine with the root
account I receive an error "user doesn't exist".  If I go to a machine that's
already connected to the network and log in as root it lets me in and I can
see root's home directory and access the shares.

I have the ldif file backed up so I can restore myself back to the initial
state whenever I like. Any suggetions would be  gratefully received regarding
how I can get around this one.

Thanks in advance,

Jools