[Samba] pam_mkhomedir.so problem

Adrian Saileanu adrian.saileanu at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 11:14:44 GMT 2005

Hello Samba People,

I'm doing some tests with samba on a debian Sarge in order to implement a
file server
with the recycle bin module, so my smb.conf loks like this :

[global]
  workgroup = HOME

  server string = %h server (Samba %v)
  preferred master = no

  realm = home.local
  security = ADS

  encrypt passwords = true
  password server = 192.168.0.15

  socket options = TCP_NODELAY

# winbindd configuration
  winbind separator = _
  idmap uid = 10000-20000
  idmap gid = 10000-20000
  winbind enum users = yes
  winbind enum groups = yes
  template homedir = /home/%U
  template shell = /bin/false

  dns proxy = no
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m.%U
  log level = 2 vfs: 3
  max log size = 2048
  syslog = 0

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = no
  writable = yes
  create mask = 0700
  directory mask = 0700

[share]
  path = /home/share
  comment = Share Directories
  browseable = yes
  writable = yes
  create mask = 0777
  directory mask = 0777
  vfs objects = extd_audit recycle
    recycle:exclude = *.tmp,*.temp
    recycle:keeptree = yes
    recycle:repository = /home/recycle/%U
    recycle:touch = yes
    recycle:versions = yes

I edited /etc/pam.d/samba, which now looks like :

account    required    pam_unix.so
password sufficient   pam_winbind.so use_authtok
auth         required    pam_unix.so nullok_secure
session    required    pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0077
@include common-auth
@include common-account
@include common-session

Everything works super except the "pam_mkhomedir.so" module, which does not
create the /home/%USERNAME% folder automaticaly ...
In the log samba sais that /home/X does not exist ... and this folder is not
created ...
If I create it manualy and give appropiate rights, it works as it shood ...

Where is the problem ?

--
All parts should go together without forcing. "You must remember that the
parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't