[Samba] Samba Posix ACL and classical files permissions

Albe k3rmit at libero.it
Wed Dec 28 16:05:45 GMT 2005

Hi,

i'm experiencing a strange behavior in the way samba shows file and
folders permissions under windows explorer.

When i open the folder or file properties under windows (xp sp2 btw), it
shows in the Security panel all the entries, both classical posix ones
and posix acl ones; but if i select each one of them to see file
permissions, it will show only the permission of users indicated in the
file posix acls.

For example, this is the getfacl under linux:

# file: Operators
# owner: albe
# group: Domain\040Admins
user::rwx
user:alessandroc:r-x
group::r--
group:SwDevelopers:r-x
mask::rwx
other::r--
default:user::rwx
default:user:albe:r--
default:user:alessandroc:r-x
default:group::r--
default:group:SwDevelopers:r-x
default:mask::rwx
default:other::r--

If i look at the security properties under windows only the entries
directly indicated explicitly in the acl is correctly shown, so in this
case user "alessandroc" and group "SwDevelopers". The others are empty.
If i open the advanced panel, it shows me user "albe" entry twice, one
for the classical posix permissions and one for the acl permission.
Anyway, under this panel all permissions are correctly shown.

Is this an expected behavior or is there something wrong in my samba
installation or configuration file?

I hope to have explained myself correctly.

I remain at disposal.

Cheers

Albe