[Samba] pseudo domain login (fast user switch)

Ben lueyb at jilau1.Colorado.EDU
Wed Dec 28 16:50:06 GMT 2005

I've got a bunch of Win XP Pro machines, and I setup domain logins to the
samba server so I'd have roaming profiles, etc. Alas, I've now discovered
that windows doesn't let you use fast user switching when you do domain
logins.

I really want fast user switching -- is there a way to configure samba /
winXP to fake some the domain login features? I don't care about password
sync between local users and samba users. But I'd like to have, say,
thunderbird mail settings, firefox bookmarks and ideally desktop icons,
etc all stored on the samba server and available to a user once they
authenticate to the samba server (which may or may not be at login)
regardless of which WinXP box that are using.

Is this possible?

Ben