[Samba] OT: SUSE 9.3 and NICs

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Dec 25 21:29:34 GMT 2005

On Saturday 24 December 2005 17:38, Eric Hines wrote:
> Folks, I realize this is off topic, and if anyone can suggest a
> better source for the question, I'd be glad to go there.  Novell
> SUSE's support is unresponsive, however.
>
> My problem is this: I'm running 9.3 Pro on an Intel server board that
> has two NIC chips built in (a 10/100 and a GigE).  I've since added a
> Netgear GigE NIC.  However, every time I reboot, the NICs assigned to
> eth0, 1, and 2 all change at random, as do the IP addresses
> assigned.  This happens whether I do anything at all or try to set
> things up through YaST.  I'm trying to set up two subnets off this
> (samba-run) server, with one NIC (or one IP address) facing the Net
> and the other two NICs (or IP addresses) having to go through this
> NIC to get to the Net.  It would seem impossible to cable up the LAN
> if the NIC supporting a given subnet--and its address--keep changing.
>
> How can I stabilize the NIC/IP address/ethx assignments?

I see the exact same thing happening on my SusE9.3 boxen.
Upgrade to SuSE 10 - seems to fox this.

> What other information does anyone need to help me with this?

Let me know if you discover the secret - I'd like to know also.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.