[Samba] Re: Would BDC Sync with Local Passwd?

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Tue Dec 13 11:04:52 GMT 2005

Pavan krishna wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I have a Samba PDC on my Suse 9.3 machine serving up to 25 clients
> with a OpenLdap backend.The samba user password  also *sync's with the
> LDAP Password and the Local User password*.

Why are you talking about Local user password if you're using LDAP ?
The goal of using ldap is to avoid creation of every users on every
linux servers ...
You just have to configure your box as a ldap client and log in with a
ldap account ... (see Yast for your Suse ...)
I suppose that all your ldap users are also posix users ? (and not only
samba users ...)

  All Samba users also have a
> local user account which is used by IMAP Server Accounts & Cyrus
> Authentication on the same machine. (So, One Password to email and samba
> for all users, if the user changes his password from the client machine
> all the passwords are synchronized).

Same as before : if you have ldap, you don't need to create local users

Recently I have setup a BDC as well
> which is working fine with the OpenLdap Replica. I would like to know
> whether the Samba BDC will also synchronizes with the local user
> password on the BDC machine. My Replica LDAP is updated on the BDC but
> am not sure whether the local user password is updated by the BDC in the
> same way as the PDC does.

The local passwords are not synchronized from machine to machine (except
if you're using ldap for all your accounts ...

(all user accounts are also created  on the