[Samba] winbind auth using ADS with domain trusts

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Dec 4 15:25:22 GMT 2005

On Sunday 04 December 2005 01:20, SAMBA wrote:
> I would be interested in contributing, but I have oh so many questions,
> once I understand, I will document what I know.  For myself, I am
> totally not interested in ANY NT style domain functionality, but rather
> full 100% pure Active Directory integration.  I am now exploring PADL
> stuff and Kerberos stuff along with either AD4Unix or SFU3.5.  However,
> I am concerned over PADL's lack of caching and I'm interested in
> winbindd.

Check the information regarding the pam_updatedb and pam_ccreds open source
modules available on the PADL web site.
http://www.padl.com/Articles/NewOpenSourceSoftware.html

> I'm also interested in automation of UID/GID generation perhaps with
> IDMAP.  I would want them written back to AD LDAP, rather than a
> separate database. I don't know if it does this already.

This can already be done using MS ADAM on the ADS servers, and then using the
ADS LDAP server for IDMAP storage. You simply need to specify the LDAP server
to the "idmap backend" parameter.

> I would also be interested in developing my own scheme to how UID/GID
> are generated in correlation to SID, so I might avoid IDMAP (or change
> it, mumuhuhuhaha).

Specifically, what are you trying to achieve that has not already been
documented?

- John T.