[Samba] Internet explorer not authenticating properly

Adam Clark adam.clark at ngv.vic.gov.au
Fri Dec 2 03:16:25 GMT 2005

Hi all,
  We are having a an ongoing problem with out NTLM authentication on out
squid system.
The problem tends to arise when users change their passwords.

I have read a KB article that says that DC's will still continue to
authenticate
Old password for an hour or so after the password is changed.

But I think it is between IE and winbindd that is the problem.

Below is a trace at debug level 5 from winbindd.  The first is a correct
authentication
Attempt from boh\mobeid.  The second is the user that had chaged his
password
2.5 hours before this trace.  NTLM authentication has failed and he is
Prompted for basic, he types in his name and it attempts to authenticate
as
Proxy\james.clavering, which no such user exists.

If I manually use ntlm_auth to authenticate with the new password I get
a result code 0,
So I know that the DC's are working correctly.

[22734]: pam auth crap domain: BOH user: MOBEID
Using cleartext machine password
cred_create
cred_create
cred_assert
[22734]: pam auth crap domain: PROXY user: JAMES.CLAVERING
Using cleartext machine password
cred_create
cred_create
cred_assert
NTLM CRAP authentication for user [PROXY]\[JAMES.CLAVERING] returned
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (PAM: 10)
[22734]: pam auth crap domain: BOH user: MVELLA
Using cleartext machine password
cred_create
cred_create
cred_assert

Has anybody else experienced these problems with NTLM auth.

Our installation is RedHad ES Linux 3, with samba-3.0.9-1.3E.5

Adam