[Samba] NT + Samba (trusted domains) changing to AD + Samba
gmane at faerun.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 01:15:43 GMT 2005
I need to start looking into the problems/solutions of migrating from an
NT4 Domain to Active Directory, where the NT Server is already in a
2-way trust with a Samba PDC.
Hopefully, I'll have test NT, AD and Samba servers setup next week to
start playing with, but in the mean time, I have some questions.
1 When a WinNT server gets migrated to Active directory, and that
NT server was in a 2-way trusted domain with a Samba PDC, what
options are there to join the Samba server (NT domain) to the AD
network? Which would be considered the 'better' way?
2 Are there any problems or issues that I should look out for?
3 Besides the Samba docs, does anyone know of any documention that
deals with this scenario?
Any help will be appreciated.
Samba Server Setup:
SuSE Linux 9.3 Pro
Running as DNS/DHCP server also.
I am the admin for a Samba3 PDC for a domain which is in a two way
trust with a domain on a (real) WinNT4 PDC. The two domains are located
at different geographic locations, connected via VPN.
Thre are file servers on each site (NetApps Filer on the NT end,
Linux/Samba the other), and users from either domain require access to
data on both sites. The trusted domain setup has worked nicely since it
was set up.
However, the admin team for the WinNT PDC have decided that they are
going to install an Active Directory server (not sure which Windoze
version, yet), and retire their failing NT4 server.
As no-one in the admin team has had any real experience with AD, they
are calling in a firm to assist with the install/set-up/migration of
the AD server. The firm has indicated that they do not have very much
(if any!) experience of Samba, and that it would be down to us (i.e.
me!) to integrate Samba in the new set-up - they will handle any
configuration thats needed on the Windows server.
I've been informed that the AD server is planned to be installed (ready
for the migration) by around mid-January, so I've basically got about a
month to work out the best way to keep the "same" functionality between
the two sites.
More information about the samba