[Samba] BDC and password change program

kent kent at mail.wareham.mec.edu
Wed Aug 31 10:15:29 GMT 2005

Hello,
How are you doing? I just switched this summer from RedHat 8.0 with compiled
versions of Samba, OpenLDAP and Berkeley DB to Fedora Core 4 with precompiled
Samba, OpenLDAP and BerkeleyDB. Here is the smb.conf from one school that is a
BDC:
[global]
   workgroup = WarehamPS
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        time offset = 60
        time server = Yes
#       log level = 5
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        security = user
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        logon script = whs1.bat
        writable = Yes
        interfaces = eth0 eth1
        directory mask = 02770
        preferred master = yes
        netbios name = whs1
        server string = Fedora Core 4 SAMBA server
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        machine password timeout = 604800
        passwd program = /usr/bin/smbpasswd %u
       passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUnix\spassword:* %n\n
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        debug level = 2
        max log size = 50
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/addmachine.sh "%u"
        logon path =
        logon drive = H:
        logon home =
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = no
        admin users = @domain_admins
        wins support = no
        wins server = 172.16.0.13
        wins proxy = yes
        local master = yes
        name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
        ldap suffix = dc=tow,dc=net
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap user suffix = ou=Users
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=tow,dc=net
        ldap ssl = no

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = no
        browseable = no
        writable = yes
        path = %H
#       valid users = %S

[netlogon]
        root preexec = /accounts/netlogon/prelogon.pl %U
        path = /accounts/netlogon
        comment = Netlogon share
        locking = no
        browseable = yes
        valid users = @whsstaff, @whsstudent, @whs-cafe, navinstall, kent
        read only = yes
        hide files = /.*/*dll/*DLL/*.bat/*.kix/*.rap/*pl/
        write list = @domain_admins
[staff]
        comment = Staff directory
        path = /accounts/common
        create mode = 0660
        browseable = no
        write list = @whsstaff
        valid users = @whsstaff
[programs]
        comment = Applications
        path = /accounts/programs
        browseable = no
        create mode = 0660
        write list = @whsstaff
        valid users = @whsstaff

[cafeteria]
        path = /accounts/cafeteria/data
        browseable = no
        valid users = @whs-cafe, dperry
        force group = whs-cafe
        create mode = 0660
        directory mode = 0770

Here is the smb.conf for the PDC:
[global]
        workgroup = WarehamPS
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        time server = Yes
        security = user
        writable = Yes
        interfaces = eth0 eth1
        directory mask = 02770
        preferred master = yes
        local master = Yes
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        netbios name = wms1
        server string = Fedora Core 4 SAMBA Server
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://172.16.0.24
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        machine password timeout = 604800
        passwd program = /usr/bin/smbpasswd %u
       passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUnix\spassword:* %n\n
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        debug level = 2
        max log size = 30
#       add machine script = /usr/bin/smbpasswd -m %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/addmachine.sh "%u"
        logon script = wms1.bat
        logon path =
        logon drive = H:
        logon home =
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 255
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = Yes
        admin users = @domain_admins
        wins support = Yes
        remote browse sync = 172.16.0.3 172.16.0.19 172.16.0.15 172.16.0.26
172.16.0.20 172.16.80.1
        name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
        ldap suffix = dc=tow,dc=net
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap user suffix = ou=Users
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=tow,dc=net
        ldap ssl = no

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = no
        browseable = no
        writable = yes
        path = %H
        hide files = /.*/
[netlogon]
        comment = Netlogon share
        root preexec = /accounts/netlogon/prelogon.pl %U
        path = /accounts/netlogon
        valid users = @wmsstaff, @wmsstudent, @domain_users, @wms-cafe,
navinstall
        locking = no
        browseable = no
        read only = yes
        write list = @domain_admins
        hide files = /*.dll/*.rap/*.kix/*.bat/*.pl/

[cafeteria]
        path = /accounts/cafeteria/data
        browseable = yes
        valid users = @wms-cafe, dperry
        force group = wms-cafe
        create mode = 0660
        directory mode = 0770

[staff]
        path = /accounts/common
        browseable = no
        valid users = @wmsstaff
        force group = wmsstaff
        write list = @domain_admins, @wmsstaff
        create mode = 0660
        directory mode = 0770
[programs]
        path = /accounts/programs
        browseable = no
        valid users = @wmsstaff, @techstaff
        create mode = 0660
[tech]
        path = /accounts/tech
        browseable = no
        valid users = @techstaff
        force group = techstaff
        write list = @techstaff
        create mode = 0660
        directory mode = 0770

The addmachine.sh script is my own version of an add machine. All users, groups,
computers have corresponding posix accounts in LDAP as well as Samba objectClass
and attributes. I don't use any Windows utilities to manipulate user group
information in LDAP, I have my own set of routines tailored to our system that
allows individual control of LDAP info or we can batch add/delete accounts and
user attributes by interactive shell scripts.

My question to the Samba community is still: should the password program on the
BDC talk to the PDC by smbpasswd -r <PDC address>? I'm having a little password
out of sync problem.

Kent N.