[Samba] Permissions Problem (?)

Simon Ansley simon at aedesign.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 00:15:02 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm an inexperienced Linux / Samba user attempting to get some simple
networking going with various versions of Windows.

Running Samba 3.0.14a-2 on a 'freebie magazine' fedora install.

I appear to have a what I think is a permissions problem, but could(?) be
username or password related.
I can see my shares on all of my Windows clients (2k,xp and 98). I can read
from them, but not write to them.

Win 2K and 98 reports 'Cannot access this file. Check security priveleges
over the network drive'. when trying to create a new or modify an existing
file.

If I smbmount the share (on the linux box on which it exists), I also cannot
write to it when logged in as user Simon, though I can write to it direct
(ie not through the mount point) logged in as Simon.

I have the following in smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = AED
wins support = yes
log level = 3
max log size = 1000
read only = no
hosts allow = 192.168.2.
printcap name = /etc/printcap
printing = lprng
log file = /root/smb.log
server string = Testing
smb passwd file = etc/samba/smbpasswd
password level = 8
username level = 8

and

[D-Main-Data]
comment = Main Data Drive
path = /usr/AED/D-Main-Data/
valid users = Simon
create mask = 0775
write list = Simon

At /usr/AED/D-Main-Data, the permisions show as drwxrwxrwx, though at the
the point where the share is smbmounted are drwx-r-xr-x. I suspect this is
the clue to the whole thing, but I don't know the solution! I've tried
setting the owner of /usr/AED/D-Main-Data to both root and to Simon to no
avail.

Windows shows no permissions ticked in Security Properties for the shared
directory or directories under it. A file created on the Linux box as user
Simon shows as having Read and Write ticked, but I still can't modify and
save it.

I have the same user / password combinations set up on the Win and Linux
boxes, and also in smbpasswd.

I have a horrible feeling this is a basic linux permissions issue, but I'm
at the end of my own limited abilities with it.

Thanks in advance,

Simon Ansley