[Samba] Roaming Profiles Annoyances

George Diamantopoulos georgediam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 06:13:08 GMT 2005

Hello,

I've finally managed to get roaming profiles working (kindof). However some
issues (after lots of googling) remain unresolved. Here's a summary of what
I've done to date:
1) Setup samba shares according to gentoo-wiki.org
<http://gentoo-wiki.org>(there were some problems with permissions etc
after that but they're ok
now)
2) Edited NTUSER of a foobar user account via the registry and configured it
for my documents redirection and execution of a inituser.cmd file (runonce
key)
3) Created an inituser.cmd file under /var/lib/samba/netlogon with the
following content: start "Copying ..." /min xcopy /I /E /H /K /Y
"%LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\Default User\My Documents" "%HOMESHARE%\"
4) Added map system = yes map archive = yes map hidden = yes in smb.conf to
prevent desktop.ini from showing up everywhere
6) Loged in as Foobar and configured the profile to my liking
7) I copied c:\documents and settings\Foobar to the /tmp samba share (so the
file attributes get copied too)
8) Moved it to the netlogon share and renamed it to Default User
9) Setup exclude directories in the local group policy to Temporary Internet
Files; History; Temp; My Documents)
10) Created new user in linux, created new windows user via smbpasswd
11) Logged in as the new user

Problems:
1) After logging in, the default profile seems to be setup correctly.
However I have set a custom wallpaper which is located in c:\windows in the
local machine. After logging in the wallpaper is not there. The only way to
make it work is right click on the desktop, properties, and open the desktop
tab. After doing that (I don't even have to click on the wallpaper entry in
the list, let alone browse for it, it's already there), that is just
clicking on the desktop tab (I really felt I had to stress this), the
wallpaper gets loaded in the preview section of the window. Just pressing
ok, or apply will render it properly on screen. I just cannot understand
what is the reason why it wasn't set in the first place!

2) Desktop.ini files are hidden. Well except one! When I click on the My
Documents folder (which is redirected to /home/%U on the linux box running
the samba service) there's a desktop.ini file in all its glory! I
right-clicked on it and opened the properties window, where the hidden
option is unselected. I selected it, clicked on OK and the file is still
there. I opened the properties window again only to find out that the hidden
check box is still off... Any ideas?

3) On logging off I get this annoying synchronization thing. I would
consider it to be normal if it didn't take such a long time! The thing is
even if I logon locally, as Administrator and then log out again, it also
popups trying to synchronize all roaming users who have logged on to date on
that computer (users who have a c:\documents and settings profile on disk I
presumed...). At a certain point it prompts for a username and password. No
matter what I provide, it fails. I've read on the net that many people
disable synchronization but should I? The thing is I don't understand how it
really works. With roaming profiles on, (but without my documents
redirection) never had any such window popped up (synchronization)

I'm really desperate so any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you in advance,
George