[Samba] Samba as a domain controller for Linux workstations?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Mon Aug 29 19:35:05 GMT 2005

awilliam at whitemice.org schrieb:

>>> Well, LINUX doesn't have anything like a roaming profile for better
>>> or worse.  Current LINUX desktop environments don't much lend
>>> themselves to "management".
>>
>> What about a logon script which runs unison
>> (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) to synchronize?
>

> File syncronization does not equal 1:1 the functionality of roaming
> profiles. Roaming profiles in conjunction with system policies let the
> admin extert a
> great deal of control over the user's experience - this isn't really
> possible
> with the current state of things on the LINUX desktop.  So wether the
> answer to
> the posters questions is "yes" or "no" depends specifically on what
> he/she is
> looking to do.

Well, basically I only wanted to know how would it look if we wanted one
day to switch the whole company or half of it to Linux workstations.

So I can see, there are lots of approaches, but there are some serious
problems:

- no standard, as Samba in a Windows world (i.e., widely used)
- laptop users will have a problem if they are out of the company building
- have to engineer, build, test, everything from scratch; with Samba,
90% of work is editing the smb.conf file

What we talk about is a little not very specific to this Samba group,
but certainly it is nice to hear how the things can be solved in the
UNIX/Linux environment.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org