[Samba] Cannot upload >2Gb file to samba server

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Aug 29 18:11:17 GMT 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 08:50, Andrey V. Romanchev wrote:
> Hello.
> I use samba on my embedded Linux-2.4.24 (uclibc-0.9.27, samba - 3.0.11)
> box and meet subj problem. I try to uploade files via windows explorer
> and Linux mount -t smbfs ability.
> Creating large files is supported, i.e. dd if=/dev/zero of=largefile
> bs=1024 count=3000000 works correctly.
> What can I do to enable large files upload?
> Thanks in advance.

I am totally confused by this request. Please make another attempt to help us
to understand the problem.

Are you using smbfs or samba?

The smbfs facility is NOT part of samba, it is a Linux kernel driver. Asking
the Samba Team to solve an smbfs problem is like asking a Ford dealer to do
GM warranty work.

In case my response is not clear, if you are having a problem copying a file
that is larger than 2GB over smbfs you should take the problem to the team
that maintains smbfs, not to the Sama Team.

Oh, by the way, smbfs is no longer being actively maintained, you really
should look into using cifsfs, which is also not part of Samba.

Samba does include the front-end client tools for using smbfs and cifsfs, but
only because they make use of Samba libraries. The problem you appear to be
asking about is most likely tied to the Linux kernel module that is not part
of Samba.

- John T.