[Samba] Cannot upload >2Gb file to samba server

Mark Cooke mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Mon Aug 29 20:47:19 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 12:11 -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Monday 29 August 2005 08:50, Andrey V. Romanchev wrote:
> > I use samba on my embedded Linux-2.4.24 (uclibc-0.9.27, samba - 3.0.11)
> > box and meet subj problem. I try to uploade files via windows explorer
> > and Linux mount -t smbfs ability.
> > Creating large files is supported, i.e. dd if=/dev/zero of=largefile
> > bs=1024 count=3000000 works correctly.
> > What can I do to enable large files upload?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> I am totally confused by this request. Please make another attempt to help us
> to understand the problem.
>
> Are you using smbfs or samba?

It sounds like he's using samba 3.0.11 with the uclibc library on linux
2.4.24.

And that he tested with sending large files from windows, and also from
another linux box using smbfs.

smbfs doesn't support > 2G files last time I checked.

cifsfs does support > 2G files, but certainly isn't a default module in
2.4.24

Prime candidates for the problem with large files will be either how
samba 3.0.11 was compiled or uclibc.  uclibc does need large file
support explicitly enabling (according to a quick google).

Hence, I'd recommend trying to compile a recent version of samba
yourself (3.0.20 or 3.0.14a), and paying careful attention to the
configure output about large file support.

If it shows up that large file support can't be enabled, then I would
imagine it is a problem with the uclibc support (or uclibc interaction
with samba).

HTH,

Mark

--