[Samba] Locking problems on a Windows server with samba OSX clients

Guillaume Laurès glaures at reedbusiness.fr
Mon Aug 29 11:05:57 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have a small amount of Mac OS X 10.3 workstations networked on a Windows 2000 server. The samba version on the Macs is 3.0.10.

For each file stored on the Windows server, the Macs create a file beginning with "._" which contains some resources about the file. My problem is that, just by browsing onto directories, the Macs seem to be locking all those "._" files (and not the regular file unless we open them), and this prevents moving the regular files, as well as renaming, saving etc.
The only way to unlock the files is to get the Mac unmount the share.

Mac OS X 10.2 workstations (samba 2.2) do create the same files, but do not lock them. I'm looking after 10.4 to see if there is a similar behaviour or not.

My question: is there a locking option I can switch on the samba clients ?

Thanks a lot for any help !

Guillaume