[Samba] Locking problems on a Windows server with samba OSX clients

Martin Petersen martin.petersen at picturepuzzlemedien.de
Mon Aug 29 11:51:55 GMT 2005

Guillaume Laurès schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I have a small amount of Mac OS X 10.3 workstations networked on a Windows 2000 server. The samba version on the Macs is 3.0.10.
>
> For each file stored on the Windows server, the Macs create a file beginning with "._" which contains some resources about the file. My problem is that, just by browsing onto directories, the Macs seem to be locking all those "._" files (and not the regular file unless we open them), and this prevents moving the regular files, as well as renaming, saving etc.
> The only way to unlock the files is to get the Mac unmount the share.
>
> Mac OS X 10.2 workstations (samba 2.2) do create the same files, but do not lock them. I'm looking after 10.4 to see if there is a similar behaviour or not.
>
> My question: is there a locking option I can switch on the samba clients ?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help !
>

> Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

we're using Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4 as SMB-Clients and we have been very
disappointed with this hidden files (e.g. .DS_Store). I have fount this
hint http://tinyurl.com/d6z9c at the site Mac OS X hints, which prevents
Mac OS X Clients from writing their special hidden files to network
shares. Maybe it is worth a look for You.

Ciao,

Martin Petersen