[Samba] printing problems upgrading samba from 2.2.4 to 3.0.14

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Aug 27 14:15:10 GMT 2005

On Saturday 27 August 2005 05:55, mhbeyle at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade samba from 2.2.4 to 3.0.14 version and I would like
> to use the same smb.conf that I had. But something looks wrong in printing
> system , there are a lot of new options and I don't know why my old
> parameters don't work ..

The changes are documented in a chapter called "Upgrading Samba" in the book
"The Official Samba3 HOWTO". Upgrade issues are discussed in the book
"Samba-3 By Example", chapter 8.

See http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf and
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

> I use samba through Windows XP/98/2000 and a MS-DOS program that sends
> print works to a linux machine with samba. With version 2.2.4 all seemed OK
> and worked fine. With version 3.0.14 printers don't work. I need raw
> printing.

When Samba-3 has been compiled with the CUPS libraries, printing goes direct
via the CUPS library API. To enable raw printing add the parameter "cups
options = raw".

> For example, this line (print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r)
> doesn't work in new version. Do I replace this with printing=cups and cups
> options=raw ? I did it and printing system doesn't work OK ..
>
> I write here my old options :
>
> [Global]
>  printcap name = lpstat
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         create mask = 0700
>         guest ok = Yes
>         printable = Yes
>         use client driver = Yes
>         print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
>         lpq command = lpstat -o %p
>         lprm command = cancel %p-%j
>         browseable = No

Look at the worked example smb.conf files in the book "Samba-3 By Example" -
it might help you.

> This config doesn't work anyway. Cups doesn't receive works.

> Now I write the new options I'm trying to use with 3.0.14 version:
>
> [Global]
>  printcap name = cups
>        printing = cups
>        printcap = cups
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         create mask = 0700
>         guest ok = Yes
>         printable = Yes
>         use client driver = Yes
>         ;printing = cups
>         lpq command = lpstat.cups -o %p
>         lprm command = cancel %p-%j
>         browseable = No
>
> And edit mime.types and mime.convs in cups config for
> application/octet-....
>
> Printing works with this config, but some of them are printed unformatted,
> with fonts bigger than old config . I send the work via (i.e.) cat work.txt
>
>  > lp0 and cups prints it OK . Works sended via Word, Excel, etc. are OK
>  > too.
>
> There is something wrong with some works sended via MS-DOS programs (like
> edit program) but I don't know what is the problem .
>
> Any suggestions ??

Read the CUPS chapters in the book "The Official Samba3 HOWTO and Reference
Guide."

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.