[Samba] printing problems upgrading samba from 2.2.4 to 3.0.14

mhbeyle at gmail.com mhbeyle at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 11:55:03 GMT 2005

Ok. Hi everybody. It's my first posting here. If I make something wrong,
please notice me . And excuse me for my evil english  (I will improve :-)  )
.

I'm trying to upgrade samba from 2.2.4 to 3.0.14 version and I would like to
use the same smb.conf that I had. But something looks wrong in printing
system , there are a lot of new options and I don't know why my old
parameters don't work ..

I use samba through Windows XP/98/2000 and a MS-DOS program that sends print
works to a linux machine with samba. With version 2.2.4 all seemed OK and
worked fine. With version 3.0.14 printers don't work. I need raw printing.

For example, this line (print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r)
doesn't work in new version. Do I replace this with printing=cups and cups
options=raw ? I did it and printing system doesn't work OK ..

I write here my old options :

[Global]
 printcap name = lpstat

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        use client driver = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        browseable = No

This config doesn't work anyway. Cups doesn't receive works.

Now I write the new options I'm trying to use with 3.0.14 version:

[Global]
 printcap name = cups
       printing = cups
       printcap = cups

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        use client driver = Yes
        ;printing = cups
        lpq command = lpstat.cups -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        browseable = No

And edit mime.types and mime.convs in cups config for application/octet-....

Printing works with this config, but some of them are printed unformatted,
with fonts bigger than old config . I send the work via (i.e.) cat work.txt
 > lp0 and cups prints it OK . Works sended via Word, Excel, etc. are OK too.
There is something wrong with some works sended via MS-DOS programs (like
edit program) but I don't know what is the problem .

Any suggestions ??