[Samba] NT Domain vs DNS

r.m. dukester dukes909 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 20:04:30 GMT 2005

Please forgive newness here.  Have accepted job as
network administrator coming from a helpdesk type
position.  One task in front of me is upgrading
an NT domain.  I want to use Samba to replace it, and
have been reading the Howto, FAQ's etc.

The current NT domain is a singularly named "WMHS"
left over from before organization got a dedicated
Internet connection.  Now they have a dedicated
connection and their own domain name, let's say
"wmcare.org", but it is not used inside the internal
network (NAT inside a firewall); it is simply for
email addresses hosted at our ISP.

My question is:

Assume I move to a Samba PDC to replace NT PDC and
start using LDAP.  LDAP requires "real" DNS server
internally.  How does this affect users who have
Win2k/XP and Control Panel->System->Domain->"WMHS"
entries?  Will those have to be modified as well to
"wmcare.org" and reflect what new Samba server
uses?  Or can they be left as "WMHS".

I guess my question really is must the domain that
Samba uses be the same as what the DNS entry is?

Thank you for replies.
Ric Feris