[Samba] strange file timestamp change on file read to year 1985/60056

Michal Konieczny mk at is.com.pl
Sun Aug 21 22:50:26 GMT 2005

Hello,

I just encountered strange problem with file timestamp change when that file
is read. My setup is:
- file server: Samba version 2.2.12, system is FreeBSD 5.4 running on Sun SPARC64
- Windows XP Professional SP2 on stationary computer (client 1)
- Windows XP Home SP2 on laptop (client 2)

On the server, there's single home directory exported, mounted as share Z:\ on
both windows machines. Client 1 is usually most of the time time connected,
client 2 is more temporary, connects just sometimes.
Client 1 has no problems, everything works just fine. Client 2 from time to
time synchronizes files, most of the time it's reading, very seldom writing.
Here is the problem: I discovered that file after reading from client 2 gets
strange timestamp on server: windows machine shows it as '1985-01-01 02:07'
(my timezone is all machines is CET, if it matters). Native FreeBSD timestamp
of file is 28 May 60056, yes it's year 60056. It's all last modification time,
last access time is not changed.
This occurs only after reading file from client 2, client 1 is fine.

Any ideas ?

--
Michal Konieczny
mk at is.com.pl