[Samba] Re: New maintainer needed for the Linux smb filesystem

Andrew Morton akpm at osdl.org
Sun Aug 21 19:46:57 GMT 2005

Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:

> Since Urban Widmark was not active for some time, and I didn't have any
> success trying to reach him, it seems we need a new maintainer for the
> smb filesystem in the Linux kernel.
>
> Is there anyone who both feels qualified and wants to become the new
> maintainer?

Yes, it's a poor situation.  That driver seems to have quite a few problems.

I was hoping that by now we could simply deprecate smbfs and tell people to
use CIFS, but I'm not sure that CIFS is ready for that yet.

Steve, what's your take?  Does CIFS offer a 100% superset of smbfs
capabilities?

Thanks.