[Samba] Win98 share "does not exist"?

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 19 13:47:50 GMT 2005

SUSE93 system with these samba packages:
	kbase3-samba-3.4.0-28
	samba-3.0.12-5
	samba-client-3.0.12-5
	yast2-samba-client-2.11.5-3
	yast2-samba-server-2.11.14-3

YAST -> "Security and Users" -> "Firewall" - stop firewall.
YAST -> "Network Services" -> "Samba Client" - Workgroup=BAX
Desktop -> "Network Browsing" -> "SMB Shares" -> BAX

I see a list of computers in the BAX workgroup (on my home network), but
last character of description is missing of each one.  When I click on icon
for any of these machines, I see a list of shares available on the
machine.  One of the machines is OpenBSD running Samba, and I can access
those shares, no problem.

There are three Win98 systems with shared folders.  I can see a list of
folder names, but when I click on a folder name, I get:
	-->  The file or folder smb://machine/folder does not exist.

Did I miss something?

Extraneous(?) Info about local network: There is also a WinXP system on the
network - not in BAX workgroup - we use Internet Connection Sharing to
access DSL connection (router is currently broken and not yet replaced - a
long story).