[Samba] Win98 share "does not exist"?

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 19 23:32:43 GMT 2005

At 09:47 AM 8/19/05, Frank Bax wrote:

>SUSE93 system with these samba packages:
>         kbase3-samba-3.4.0-28
>         samba-3.0.12-5
>         samba-client-3.0.12-5
>         yast2-samba-client-2.11.5-3
>         yast2-samba-server-2.11.14-3
>
>YAST -> "Security and Users" -> "Firewall" - stop firewall.
>YAST -> "Network Services" -> "Samba Client" - Workgroup=BAX
>Desktop -> "Network Browsing" -> "SMB Shares" -> BAX
>
>I see a list of computers in the BAX workgroup (on my home network), but
>last character of description is missing of each one.  When I click on
>icon for any of these machines, I see a list of shares available on the
>machine.  One of the machines is OpenBSD running Samba, and I can access
>those shares, no problem.
>
>There are three Win98 systems with shared folders.  I can see a list of
>folder names, but when I click on a folder name, I get:
>         -->  The file or folder smb://machine/folder does not exist.
>
>Did I miss something?
>
>Extraneous(?) Info about local network: There is also a WinXP system on
>the network - not in BAX workgroup - we use Internet Connection Sharing to
>access DSL connection (router is currently broken and not yet replaced - a
>long story).

I just tried smbclient and got similar results.  Works with OpenBSD server,
crashes with Win98 server:
fbax at suse93:~> smbclient -N //Compaq/Shared
smb: \> ls
do_list: [\*] ERRDOS - ERRbadfunc (Invalid function.)
Error in dskattr: ERRDOS - ERRbadfunc (Invalid function.)
Segmentation fault

Google of error msg turned up source code and a german page I don't really
understand.  I notice SUSE93 is mentioned (accessing an ME share?) and I
think there is a suggestion to try command as root, but that produces same
result.
         http://www.computerhilfen.de/hilfen-6-76563-0.html
Then it finally dawned on me to check for updates.  Upgrade to 3.0.13 (via
YAST2) resolved the issue.  Sorry to interrupt your day with my noise.

Release Notes for Samba 3.0.13

Common bugs fixed in 3.0.13 include:

   o Infinite FindNext() loop from Windows 9x client when
     copying or deleting files on a Samba file share using
     explorer.exe.
   o Numerous smbclient bugs when listing directories.
   o Failures in smbclient when connecting to a Windows 9x
     file server.