[Samba] long filename issues

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed Aug 17 19:18:42 GMT 2005

We're still getting a lot of locked smbd processes, processes climbing to 98%
or more usage and becoming un-responsive and thereby locking the particular
user they're attached to from accessing the file.

It seems more and more so, that the longer the combined path and file name
are, the more likely the end user is to get locked out. Aside from that, the
issue has yet to form a pattern we've been able to dicifer, and even still it
only happens at apparently random intervals to only a small number of users.

So I was curious, are there any issues regarding filename/pathname
limitations? ie: 256 chars max filename, issues with say > 4 spaces in a
filename, etc. Trying to narrow this down somehow and see what we can figure
out, else we're just kinda banking on the next stable release to hopefully
fix this issue.

We're running Samba-3.0.13 with a patch as supplied by (Jerry or Jeremy, sorry
haven't got the email to see whom it was guys). The patch was to solve the
locking issue with excel, and though it did help, it has not stopped the
lockups all together. We're still getting on average about 10-15 a day.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.