[Samba] Samba 3, AD, and roaming profiles

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Wed Aug 17 04:46:46 GMT 2005

> I have been working on getting Samba 3.0.20rc2 on a Sun Solaris box to play
> nice with our institution's Active Directory (AD) environment.  The AD set-up
> is pretty plain and I have no ability to make changes to its configuration -
> a different department runs that show.
>
> Should I be able to store the roaming profile information on my Samba server
> in an AD environment?  The rest of the campus does not use roaming profiles
> so they provide no support or storage for them.  We've been using them for
> years and do not want to give them up - but we are being forced onto the AD
> system.  We will go, but I don't want my users to have to give up features to
> make the transition.
>

> I have my Samba server as a member server belonging to the AD domain, I can
> log onto the Solaris host as an AD user, and Samba provides resources to the
> Windows clients - so far, so good.
>
> What I need to be able to do for my group is store their roaming profiles on
> my samba server, and run our logon script from our samba server.
>
> I have access to User Manager for AD and have modified the profile entry for
> my test user to:
>
> profile path  \\techops-test\profile
> login script  \\techops-test\netlogon\mglcua.bat
>
> Home directory  map  h:\  to \\techops-test\homes\marteltest
>
> I have also tried:
> profile path  \\techops-test\profile\marteltest

logon path ? logon home ? (depending on windows version)
not "profile path" :-)

"logon path" doesn't have to point to PDC (which is AD in your case), so
You can specify samba UNC for that. just remember win2ksp4 and later are
picky on profile ACLs, You should either use samba with ACL support or
enable "profile acls = yes" on that share (believe me, You don't want
that option enabled globally).

logon script is relative to \\PDC\netlogon, so You can just specify s.bat
and it will look for \\PDC\netlogon\s.bat