[Samba] Samba 3, AD, and roaming profiles

Robert M. Martel bob at urban.csuohio.edu
Tue Aug 16 20:00:50 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I have been working on getting Samba 3.0.20rc2 on a Sun Solaris box to
play nice with our institution's Active Directory (AD) environment.  The
AD set-up is pretty plain and I have no ability to make changes to its
configuration - a different department runs that show.

Should I be able to store the roaming profile information on my Samba
server in an AD environment?  The rest of the campus does not use
roaming profiles so they provide no support or storage for them.  We've
been using them for years and do not want to give them up - but we are
being forced onto the AD system.  We will go, but I don't want my users
to have to give up features to make the transition.

I have my Samba server as a member server belonging to the AD domain, I
can log onto the Solaris host as an AD user, and Samba provides
resources to the Windows clients - so far, so good.

What I need to be able to do for my group is store their roaming
profiles on my samba server, and run our logon script from our samba server.

I have access to User Manager for AD and have modified the profile entry
for my test user to:

profile path  \\techops-test\profile
login script  \\techops-test\netlogon\mglcua.bat

Home directory  map  h:\  to \\techops-test\homes\marteltest

I have also tried:
profile path  \\techops-test\profile\marteltest

When I try logging onto a windows machine it reports that it is "unable
to locate the server copy of your roaming profile" and the detail says
that "The profile path cannot be found."

When I looked at the smblog file I saw the following:

[2005/08/16 13:52:48, 10] passdb/pdb_get_set.c:pdb_set_profile_path(752)
   pdb_set_profile_path: setting profile path
\\techops-test\marteltest\profile, was

Anyone know why the UNC was flipped to \\techops-test\marteltest\profile
rather than \\techops-test\profile\marteltest?

The login script does not run.

The user's home directory *does* get mapped as the H:\ drive.

Thanks!
Bob Martel

Bob Martel,System Administrator  I met someone who looks a lot like you
Levin College of Urban Affairs   She does the things you do
Cleveland State University       But she is an IBM
(216) 687-2214
bob at urban.csuohio.edu                                -Jeff Lynne