[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Sun Aug 14 18:03:15 GMT 2005

On Sunday 14 August 2005 01:14 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> > Probably because some name resolution is being done via broadcasts.
>
> OK - I'm not sure what this explanation means, but I'll continue my
> reading

NetBIOS typically uses or falls back to using broadcasting for name
resolution unless specifically set up to use p-node (only WINS).

> Nor, do I include julimobile in any of the
> hosts/lmhosts files on the other two machines because it gets its IP
> from the Linux machine via DHCP

That's why you can't ping it from your 'nix box, you need DNS/hosts name
resolution to do that.
You would be better served to reserve an IP address for the laptop in
your dhcp.conf. That way the assigned IP address will always be the
same and you can safely propagate your hosts/lmhosts with the laptop's
information. Might want to consider setting up tinyDNS, it would
simplify stuff quite a lot. I consider 5 systems or more a headache to
network with static name resolution files, but even with 3 systems it
can make life easier to move to DNS.

> As mentioned above, the hosts/lmhosts files are not mirrored on the
> laptop

Shouldn't hurt anything to so this. You're unlikely to both find and
need to use identically named systems on other networks.

> but I did recheck the entries on the linux and studypc
> machines, and made sure the final entries were terminated with a line
> feed - I assume that's what you mean?

Unix termination is LF, DOS termination is CR-LF. If you're editing the
files on your 'nix box and not using notepad on Windows, convert the
line termination to DOS style.

> > Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the Windows systems (see the WINS
> > tab in network advanced properties)?
>
> yes... I had checked that previously, but I reverified

Is File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed and bound
to the network adapter on studypc (actually that must be so as you can
connect to shares via the IP address - forget I asked this)? Also if
you are doing any IP aliasing (secondary IP address) on Windows,
NetBIOS will only get bound to the primary IP address.

Also check if studypc is running a firewall (XP SP2 installs and starts
it by default).

Here's some ancient material I wrote back when MS first started offering
TCP/IP: http://realcomputerguy.com/networksetup.htm#hosts it might be
useful. There are example files as well. Just be easy on any
criticism...I didn't know what 'nix was when I wrote it.

Chris