[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Claude Jones claudedjones at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 00:21:36 GMT 2005

On Sun August 14 2005 2:03 pm, Chris wrote:

> NetBIOS typically uses or falls back to using broadcasting for name
> resolution unless specifically set up to use p-node (only WINS).

OK - I'm still trying to understand netbios node types and where they are
applied, and when to specify them, and how, and where they are specified,
and...

> > Nor, do I include julimobile in any of the
> > hosts/lmhosts files on the other two machines because it gets its IP
> > from the Linux machine via DHCP
>
> That's why you can't ping it from your 'nix box, you need DNS/hosts name
> resolution to do that.
> You would be better served to reserve an IP address for the laptop in
> your dhcp.conf. That way the assigned IP address will always be the
> same and you can safely propagate your hosts/lmhosts with the laptop's
> information.

OK - I'm looking into this: From man dhcpd.conf
"When  dhcpd  tries  to find a host declaration for a client, it first looks
for a host declaration which has a fixed-address declaration that lists an IP
address that is valid for the subnet or shared network on which the client is
booting."
Does this mean that I just need to make a declaration in my hosts files that
julimobile is 192.168.2.33 or whatever, and that this will be picked up by
dhcpd and used to assign the address? Or do I need to read on? (I'm doing
that anyway)

> Might want to consider setting up tinyDNS, it would
> simplify stuff quite a lot. I consider 5 systems or more a headache to
> network with static name resolution files, but even with 3 systems it
> can make life easier to move to DNS.

Well, over on Fedora-list, we spent about 4 days setting up DNS on my system.
I 'think' it's working properly, now. We had problems getting rndc going but
now:
[root at viewridgeproductions2 etc]# rndc status
number of zones: 6
debug level: 0
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0
soa queries in progress: 0
query logging is OFF
recursive clients: 0/1000
tcp clients: 0/100
server is up and running

> > As mentioned above, the hosts/lmhosts files are not mirrored on the
> > laptop
>
> Shouldn't hurt anything to so this. You're unlikely to both find and
> need to use identically named systems on other networks.

At work, I have a very similar network configuration, but the name of the
Linux box is viewridgeproductions - I haven't set up Samba on that machine,
because my wife just uses it to route to the net, but the inside NIC is using
the same subnet as my home network (192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0)
Given that the two IP addresses are the same (home and work inside NICs that
is,) would having a host entry on her machine mess up her ability to 'see'
the net at work?

> > but I did recheck the entries on the linux and studypc
> > machines, and made sure the final entries were terminated with a line
> > feed - I assume that's what you mean?
>
> Unix termination is LF, DOS termination is CR-LF. If you're editing the
> files on your 'nix box and not using notepad on Windows, convert the
> line termination to DOS style.

done

> Also check if studypc is running a firewall (XP SP2 installs and starts
> it by default).

I run Kerio firewall on one, and Zonealarm on the other, Windows machines.
These are both treating the lan as 'trusted' so all traffic is allowed.

> Here's some ancient material I wrote back when MS first started offering
> TCP/IP: http://realcomputerguy.com/networksetup.htm#hosts it might be
> useful. There are example files as well. Just be easy on any
> criticism...I didn't know what 'nix was when I wrote it.

Thanks for the link - found a couple of clarifications in there...

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA