[Samba] Samba server with Win XP clients: Problems.

Steve Orbe sorbedocs at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 14 02:14:09 GMT 2005

Hello!!

I am trying to set up a Samba server with Win XP Pro
clients.

In brief, this is the current set up:
Comp1: Firewall (DHCP) Linux
Comp2: Proxy (Squid) Linux
Comp3: W2K server (AD)

My final objective is to replace Comp3 with a Linux
server (Fedora Core 3) running Samba, which in turn
will handle the roaming profiles.

This is current problem that I am encountering:
I edited the smb.conf file. Set it up to support WINS
(wins support=yes) as well as the other respective
settings.

When I tried to configure the client PC to recognize
the new domain, I got the following error:

====================== ERROR MESSAGE =================
Note: This information is intended for a network
administrator. If you are not your network's
administrator, notify the administrator that you
received this information, which has been recorded in
the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name ERNSAMBA might be a NetBIOS domain
name. If this is the case, verify that the domain
name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS
domain name, then the following information can help
you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for
the service location (SRV) resource record used to
locate a domain controller for domain ERNSAMBA:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ERNSAMBA

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include
delegation to its child zone:

ERNSAMBA
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click
Help.

So I proceded to edit the hosts file and lmhosts.sam
file. I also disable the firewalls, both of Windows
and the anti-virus software, but I kept on getting the
same error message.

Can someone advice on a possible solution to this
problem? Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Sincerely,

ecsamba