[Samba] Re: SuSE 9.3 + Samba 3 + LDAP

David Krider david at davidkrider.com
Thu Aug 11 03:48:23 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 11:37 +1000, Horst B. Simon wrote:
> I am not near the box now, I think you are on the right track. I will
> post tonight the relevant parts of my ldap.conf and smb.conf. Yes my
> binddn is uid=Manager,dc=hsimon,dc=com,dc=au and the user are in
> ou=Users,ou=OxObjects,dc=hsimon,dc=com,dc=au. I tried to use the root
> user and I set up a administrator according
> to the information in the IDEALX document.

I've posted a couple of messages recently about this issue. I'm getting
the exact same error message upon trying to join the domain as you are.
If you could, please check your /var/log/messages for slapd errors that
say something about "Duplicate entries." You can check my recent post
"Bug in LDAP Stuff?" for the details, but it seems to me that Samba is
"pre-filtering" the LDAP search for the user you're (we're) trying to
use to join the domain. It's finding all the users instead of just the
one. (It's not limiting to the one user.)

As someone replied to me, the latest version of Samba no longer needs
the "ldap filter" configuration setting. I think this is too bad,
because it looks like the relevant line in the IDEALX Howto -- which is
commented out in the docs -- does *EXACTLY* what I think needs to be
done. Like I'm implying here, I think this is a bug in the Samba code. I
guess this means I ought to enter a bug in Samba's bugzilla?

Regards,
dk