[Samba] totally confused, samba flipflop fuctionality

craig wynn craigbaru at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 16:50:16 GMT 2005

It's working from the linux box and not the xp then
it's not

Yes I try making corrections and this probably
accounts for the confusion and broken samba
communication.  I just never seem to be able to come
up with a working working configuration.

Exception: smbclient;  I can mount the XP share in a
directory on my Linux box or at  least the last time I
checked.
I have to turn off the linux firewall to do this. But
I'd rather be able to select a gui like my file
manager by GNOME on my Fedora linux box to view my XP
shared folders.  I have had this working up until
yesterday. In recent months that's all I've had
working. Back when I ran FC1 I think I had
communication both way's.

On the Windows box I created a Linux user account. In
this account I created only shared folders. This is
the account that has loaded using either smbclient.  I
just check this and it is still working for me ! When
mounted I can view the files on my XP
/familypc/linux/linuxshare in the mounted folder on my
FC3 box which is where I'm sitting and writing this
message from.

I just added a 2nd linux box running FC4. This a home
network with 3 machines. Two Linux boxes and a XP.
I have the same smb.conf setting on my FC4 with this
exception:
 netbios name = Samba Server on FC4

The XP is setup with a "computer name" assigned as
"familypc"
The XP is setup with a "workgroup name" assigned as
"SUNRISE"

When trying to access from the XP from the Microsoft
Windows Network -> SUNRISE I get:
Two Icons (presently)
< familypc > and < Samba Server on FC4 >
note: the Samba Server on FC3 is not displayed

Microsoft wizard setups ask questions like:
...my computer is part of a business network
or
... my compute is for home use
Well I do have a network but it's not a "business
network"  how do I answer this?

another  question Microsoft wizard asks is:
my computer network uses a domain name
or
my computer network does not use a domain name

As far as I know I havn't assigned a domain name on
either the XP or the FC3 or FC4 machines.  How do I
confirm this?

Follows is my smb.config  settings:
workgroup = SUNRISE
netbios name = Samba Server on FC3
printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
cups options = raw
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
dns proxy = no
==============================
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   template shell = /bin/false
   winbind use default domain = no
   security = share
;    encrypt passwords = yes
   guest ok = yes
;    encrypt passwords = yes
;    guest account = nobody
;    encrypt passwords = yes
;    guest account = nobody
;    encrypt passwords = yes
;    guest account = nobody
;    encrypt passwords = yes
;    guest account = nobody
;    guest account = nobody
;    encrypt passwords = yes
;    guest ok = no
;    guest account = nobody
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes
printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
craigshare]
   comment = workgroup is -> fc3
   path = /home/craig/craigshare
   valid userse = craig linux
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   browseable = yes

If you need more info on my sytems please let me know.
If it's linux info it would help if you know the
command or where abouts of the info you need in order
to help me out

thank you
craig