[Samba] Re: [SLE] printer loss [susepro 9.1]

Serge Naggar naggar at sprintmail.com
Thu Aug 4 16:10:18 GMT 2005

Hi Johannes and others,
Your analysis made a lot of sense to me and I have been trying to see
where port 631 has been used:

I found that I had added port 631 to the firewall and the
/etc/samba/smb.conf

I eliminated both and tried to start cupsd ... the result is not clear:

http://localhost:631/ goes howhere

> west:/home/scn # cupsd
> cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

I am not sure what status 98 and child mean?

I also tried to get the yast printer configuation tool to complete but
it is still stalling in the `load current settings´ phase of the printer
definition.

Is there a command/function which will let me find out where/how port
631 is being used?

I also feel, no proof, that the problem has to do with the interaction
of samba3.0.9-2.6-suse and susepro9.1 because the printer-loss and
yast-printer-definition stall occurred with both machines - each has a
different printer. Both were in samba.
Any thoughts?
I look forward to resolving this problem.

--
Cheers,
Serge [Naggar Consulting]