[Samba] WinXP maps home drive to logon home

Ron Smith rjs_cortez at charter.net
Thu Aug 4 15:14:19 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am having a "logon home" problem. I have a mixture of Win98 and WinXP
machines and regardless which I use to connect to the Samba server, it
will try to map the home drive to what I have set the "logon home = " to.

This is the line .. "logon home = \\%N\profile.%U"
The user is admin
This is the error I see in the syslog from a Win98 Machine:
    lab_thinkpad (192.168.30.180) couldn't find service profile.admin
and from a WinXP machine:
    genserv-lab4 (192.168.30.184) couldn't find service profile.admin

If I create a folder in the home share called "profile.admin", then
WinXP will map the Home drive to it instead of the parent of
profile.admin. If I remove the logon home line from the smb.conf file,
WinXP will map the Home drive to the home share root correctly, but the
Win98 client will put the profile information in the home share root,
and I want it in a folder called profile.%U under the home share.

This is the full smb.conf:
[global]
    netbios name = Samba-1
    workgroup = TESTGROUP
    log file = /var/log/samba/%U.log
    syslog = 1
    max log size = 1000
    time server = Yes
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 110 -s
/bin/false -M %u
    logon script = logon.bat
    logon path = \\%N\Profiles\%U
    logon home = \\%N\profile.%U
    logon drive = H:
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    wins support = Yes
    security = user
    os level = 65
    admin users = admin, ron

[netlogon]
    path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
    browseable = No

[homes]
    read only = No
    browseable = No
    guest ok = No
    map archive = No

[profiles]
    path = /home/testshare/%g/Profiles
    browsable = no
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
#end

The logon.bat file is:
@echo on
net use H: /home
pause

The server is a Mandrake 10.1 (before Mandriva), but samba is NOT an
RPM, it's from samba.org source version 3.0.14a, configured with the
following arguments:
$ ./configure --bindir=/usr/local/bin --sbindir=/usr/local/sbin
--sysconfdir=/etc --with-msdfs --with-smbwrapper --with-smbmount
--with-quotas --with-acl-support --with-syslog

I've RTFM for the last 2 solid 16 hour days, I'm baffled.

I would very much appreciate any help anyone out there can offer.

Thanks,
R Smith