[Samba] The Next Guide Will Be...

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Wed Aug 3 15:52:52 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 09:28, Dortch, Dustin wrote:
> The Next Guide Will Be...
> August 3rd, 2005
>
> The next guide on Sambadmin will about creating a great LDAP
> infrastructure. I have been disappointed that I have only
> received two comments about what the next guide should be,
> especially since the site has had over 500 visitors in the
> past two days.

Dustin,

Do not get disappointed, two comments out of 500 visits is fantastic!

I've had a few contributions to the Samba3-ByExample book since it was
released. Your response rate is about double mine so far. The more important
factor is the quality of the responses!

> I came to this decision after reading my posts. I stated that
> the core motivation behind all of this is LDAP. Sure, Samba IS
> great, but we can have file/print sharing on a Windows server.
> What really takes the cake is to have tightly integrated
> services, and this is made possible by LDAP.

If you want to get attention, be perfectly clear in respect of your
objectives.

> So, if you have any comments you would like to make about what
> a completely integrated directory solution should include, do
> not hesitate to comment. Here is what I will list, for
> starters.
>
> http://www.sambadmin.com/sambadmin/?postid=8

Some focus point suggestions:

1. Improved LDAP management scripts

2. Improved LDAP schema designs

3. References and links to LDAP management tools - particularly cross-platform
(i.e., tools that work from a Windows client as well as a UNIX/Linux client)

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra