[Samba] The Next Guide Will Be...

Martin Petersen martin.petersen at picturepuzzlemedien.de
Wed Aug 10 11:12:23 GMT 2005

Hi Dustin,

Dortch, Dustin wrote:
> The Next Guide Will Be...
> August 3rd, 2005
>
> The next guide on Sambadmin will about creating a great LDAP
> infrastructure. I have been disappointed that I have only
> received two comments about what the next guide should be,
> especially since the site has had over 500 visitors in the
> past two days.

I was one of these :).
I am looking forward to see Your site growing.

> I came to this decision after reading my posts. I stated that
> the core motivation behind all of this is LDAP. Sure, Samba IS
> great, but we can have file/print sharing on a Windows server.
> What really takes the cake is to have tightly integrated
> services, and this is made possible by LDAP.
>
> So, if you have any comments you would like to make about what
> a completely integrated directory solution should include, do
> not hesitate to comment. Here is what I will list, for
> starters.
>
> http://www.sambadmin.com/sambadmin/?postid=8

One of LDAPs main problems for N00bs is to understand the setup
procedures. Maybe You could break the first steps down to a level that
even I could understand :).

I think everybody would like to have seperated the system users and the
samba (domain) users with LDAP or MySQL as backend.

As John wrote, don't be disappointed. Your are doing great.

Martin