[Samba] Migrating samba 2.x PDC to new machine and samba 3.x PDC

Greg Goodrich ggoodrich at medinotes.com
Tue Aug 2 21:08:19 GMT 2005

I'm trying to migrate from an older samba 2.x PDC machine into a new
machine that has samba 3.x and also uses an LDAP backend.  I've heavily
used the IDEALX.org website and documentation to get the vast majority
of the work accomplished and working.  I had to modify some scripts that
were referenced there for migrating posix accounts over to LDAP so that
they could also handle migrating the smbpasswd file as well.  My users
work beautifully.  However, the machine accounts are giving me fits.  My
guess is that the sambaNTPassword entry is getting in the way of
success.  What I really need to be able to do is turn off the old PDC
machine, turn on the new one, and have everyone reboot their machines
and log back into the "new" domain (same domain name as before).  Well,
whenever I have run a trial run of this, I get the error  that either my
password is incorrect or my machine doesn't have an account on the
domain.  If I re-join the domain through windows, it works just fine.
However, I noticed that my sambaNTPassword hash is different than what
it was for the same machine account on the old PDC.  I'm not certain how
this hash is generated for machine accounts.  Assuming that the server
hostname had some role in this, I changed the new PDC to have the same
hostname as the old PDC.  Now, I do get a different sambaNTPassword hash
if I add my machine to the new domain through windows, but it still does
not match the original hash from the old PDC.  Since the old PDC is
samba 2.x, I can't use net rpc vampire to migrate the accounts over.
Does anyone have any idea what other thing(s) I can change to get the
hash to produce the same way on both servers?  I believe this to be my
last hurdle in what should be a very nice improvement to our LAN.  TIA
--

Greg Goodrich
Development Manager

MediNotes Corporation
1025 Ashworth Road, Suite 222
West Des Moines, IA 50265
Phone: 877.633.6683 ext. 251

<http://www.medinotes.com>
Charting Plus - "The Best EHR Value on the Market!"
www.medinotes.com <http://www.medinotes.com/>