[Samba] Samba Shares With only Partial Access

E Hines eehines at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 20:06:19 GMT 2005

Sorry I didn't get back into this for a week--I've been fighting a bug
of a different sort.

Some background/refresher: lserver1 is my Linux box and is the one
running Samba 3.0.14a.  mustelidae is a Win2k box, user name ehines.
jupiter is a Win2k box, user name annlee.  Both users and their
respective Win2k passwords have been added to smbpasswd.  master is the
primary share that's been set up, with authorized users ehines and
annlee and path /archive; files is a subordinate share that's been set
up with authorized users %S and path /archive /%U.  The problem is that
I have set up a couple of shares IAW Example 2.4 (or so I thought) of
JHT's Samba-3 by Example, but only ehines can get access--annlee cannot.
And in running the suggested diagnostics, I've discovered that ehines
can get access from jupiter as well as from mustelidae.

It appears that the solution to this was even more basic than the checks
from your referenced docs: I needed to be running winbind, also.  This
is a pretty basic mistake, but for someone as new to this stuff as I am,
I must have missed something in the docs that would have made it clear
that I had to be running winbind as well as smb in order for shares to
work.  Of course, it also wouldn't be the first time I've "missed
something in the docs" that I should not have missed or should not have
misunderstood.

However, in addition to the question implied at the end of the second
para (why could ehines get in from annlee's machine), if winbind is key
to all of this, why was ehines able to get in at all, and not annlee?

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines