[Samba] variables in include linbes - still a bug?

Paul Taka takaanna at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 29 17:34:09 GMT 2005

Hi list,

I'm using Samba 3.0.13 on SuSE LES 8 with OpenLDAP, and I noticed a strange
behavior with variables in include lines (eg include = /etc/samba-%G).

I read bugs 417 (Variables don't work in include lines) and 1119 (Nested
"include =" files have problems) are fixed, so I don't really understand
what happens...

When I join a Win2k (sp4) client to my samba domain, and then login with a
user the first time, it seems variables like %G are not resolved. I need to
logout and login again, then it works.
On the same client, if I log in with another user, I have the same problem:
first time the included file is not read, but after I logout once, it works
well.

For ex, here is my smb.conf:

[global]
    workgroup = DOMAIN
    netbios name = SERVER
    server string = %h (samba %v )

    ldap passwd sync = yes
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
    ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,...
    ldap suffix = ....
    ldap user suffix = ou=People
    ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Machines

    domain logons = yes
    security = user
    os level = 255
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    logon home =
    logon path =
    logon drive = h:

    encrypt passwords = yes

    include = /etc/samba/profile-%G

[profiles]
    path = /var/samba/profiles

[netlogon]
    path = /var/samba/netlogon

[home]
    path = /home
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no

And profile-group is just:
    logon home =
    logon path = \\server\profiles\etu
    logon drive = h:

This way, I want people who belongs to "group" use a mandatory profile, and
other use local profile.

But when I log in for the first time with a user on a fresh joined ws, it's
always a local profile which is loaded. If I log in a second time, the
included file is read, then mandatory profile is loaded.
But if I log in for the first time with user2, I have the same problem...
Each user has to login once on each workstation.

Is it a bug ?

Thanks.

Paul