[Samba] domain master list - cross subnet?

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 28 16:41:29 GMT 2005

samba-3.0.10-1.4E on RHEL4-AS. I've got a test domain setup and working
just fine. Windows XP clients are authenticating just fine. The only
problem I have so far is my domain browser list is not correct. I can see
everything in my subnet fine, but can't see anything outside my subnet.
This is different than my NT4 domain, who's browse list shows me every
domain within the larger campus domain (WAN), which are a lot of domains
outside of my subnet. So my question is, how do I get my samba domain
browse list to behave like my NT4 domain browse list does and get the
list from the WAN?

Is a samba domain master browser supposed to be able to get browse lists
from accross subnets? If not, is there any way to force a samba domain to
collect browse lists from outside it's subnet? We have many users who need
to access domains outside our subnets, and they need to be able to browse
to it.

My samba is the master browser and there is no other domain master in the
X-TEST domain. Anyway, os level=65 should take care of that even if there
were.

I've also read chapter 9 of the samba how to, and I'm doing everything in
there according to plan, I think. The thing that scares me is: "Failing a
complete restart, the only other thing you can do is wait until the entry
times out and is then flushed from the list. This may take a long time on
some networks (perhaps moths)." Ouch. I hope I don't have to wait a month
for nmbd to collect the browse list from all the WINS hosts on campus???

Additional info: we don't have a WINS server on our subnet, we point all
our clients to a two WINS servers, both outside of our subnet, and that
works fine with NT4 and samba domains.

Here is my smb.conf global:

[global]
    workgroup = X-TEST
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    map to guest = Bad User
    logon drive = z:
    logon path =
    logon script = x-test-logon.bat
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    server string = X-TEST Samba Domain
    netbios name = xxx-x
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody
-s /bin/false %m
    domain master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    wins server = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (a wins server on a different subnet)
    hosts allow = XXX.XXX XXX.XXX (allowing IP's from campus wide subnets)
    os level = 65
    log level = 3
    max log size = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/XXX-X-samba.log

Thanks!

Alex