[Samba] can't get samba 3.0.14a to work with ldap..part 2: smaba 3.0.15

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Wed Apr 27 18:57:23 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 12:14, rich foo wrote:
> John,
>
> I certainly didn't mean to sound as though I was bashing the
> documentation, I am only bashing myself for not being able to figure out
> what I am doing wrong.  The only reason I stressed that my config was
> straight from the documentation was to provide a clearer picture of my
> setup, and to point out that I was taking your advice and trying to work
> through the examples given.
>
> I have started again from scratch with samba-3.0.15pre2 and I will send
> you your requested config files shortly.
>
> Thanks, and again, I certainly did not mean to bash the documentation.  I
> fully realize that a lot of work goes into it and I am grateful for samba
> and all it has done for me over the past 10 years since my first install.

Rich,

I am not emotionally attached to the documentation, but I do want to get it
right. The current documentation update provides numerous checks and balances
against common typographic mistakes. Whereever it makes sense in the current
documentation update I am adding checks and validation steps to weed-out
commonly made mistakes.

My approach to the documentation has been shaped by feedback from this list. I
know the documentation is mostly correct - we have had enough feedback that
it works that I am not in doubt about the documentation. That said, if anyone
can justly claim to have followed the documentation, and it did not work,
then as far as I am concerned the documentation has failed! No questions - it
failed.

The documentor's challenge is to write in such a way that every step is
designed to catch errors. That means that any error that you make in
following the documentation IS my problem.

PS: Since Samba is open source, user contributed software, that by definition
means that this is a community problem also. In other words, if you allow me
to get away with buggy documentation that is your fault as a user, as much as
it is my fault as the writer.

So, blast away please. Let's get it right! Please give me all the criticism of
the documentation you can think of. I want it all and I want it full-on.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member