[Samba] Guest user?

piersk at bda.org.uk piersk at bda.org.uk
Wed Apr 27 13:04:03 GMT 2005

Hello all,

Am trying to set up a guest account for employees from other offices to
come in the office to login and do stuff.  I want to block access to all
public drives so this is what I've done:

Consider the SAMBA server in Office A and I want to create a guest account
so that people from Office B and C can access.  There is a public drive
that everyone in Office A can edit, and a drive called "Restricted" that
one person in Office A can edit, but everyone else in Office A can access
but not edit.

Created a group called "everyone" and added everyone in Office A to that
group
Created a group called "Restricted" and added the person who's allowed to
edit this drive to that group
Created the following lines in smb.conf file:

[public]
    comment = shared folder
    writeable = yes
    path = /home/samba/public
    write list = @everyone
    guest ok = no
    create mode = 0777
    directory mode = 0777

[signmatters]
        comment = shared folder
        writeable = yes
        path = /home/samba/restricted
        write list = @restricted
        valid users = @everyone @restricted
        guest ok = no
        create mode = 0775
        directory mode = 0775

guest isn't part of either "everyone" or "restricted" groups.  The
permissions of the 2 folders are:

drwxrwx---  3 root everyone   4096 2005-04-27 14:56 public
drwxrwx---  2 root restricted 4096 2005-04-27 14:56 restricted

As it is, guest can't access either drives, everyone in Office A can
access the public drive and edit stuff on there, the person who's allowed
to edit the restricted files can do so, but no-one in Office A is able to
access the restricted files?  How do I set it so that guest can't access
the restricted files, but everyone in Office A can?

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers