[Samba] Problem with length of share names

David Harrison david.harrison at sensorynetworks.com
Wed Apr 27 03:17:29 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is some restriction on the length of share names
that prevents shares with names over 12 characters being browsed to ?

I have a share with a name that is 14 characters, and I'm able to
connect to it if I type in the name by hand, but I can't browse to it
from either Windows or MacOSX boxes (`smbclient -L host` also won't see it).

I'm using Debian sarge with package version 3.0.10-1

I've been searching around and I have only found one or two references
to this problem, both of which are about 4 years old.

Is this actually a limitation ? a bug in my config ?  a known bug ?

Any help is appreciated
Cheers
Dave