[Samba] SAMBA 2.0.7 on Solaris 9 - How to disable port 445

joe.ward at us.schneider-electric.com joe.ward at us.schneider-electric.com
Wed Apr 27 02:56:14 GMT 2005

I have SAMBA 2.0.7 running on about 20 Solaris 9 servers around the US.
One location is experiencing interruptions for Windows XP clients who map
to the SAMBA server.  There are no known changes to Solaris or SAMBA to
explain the change.

The problem is very random.  I have seen postings that discuss how XP uses
ports 139 and 445.  Is there a way to block port 445 in SAMBA 2.0.7?  The
"smb ports" configuration file entry is invalid for 2.0.7.  I tried "smb
-p 139  - D" and there is still traffic on port 445.

Is there a way to block all TCP port 445 activity on the server side
without having to learn SunScreen?

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
Joe Ward
joe.ward at us.schneider-electric.com