[Samba] NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL message-- were to look?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Apr 25 20:51:04 GMT 2005

Matt Price wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to access a shared printer on a windows machine.  The
> windows box (call it "Doze") is located behind a router/printserver,
> and is set up thus:
>
> -DOZE connects to the printer via the printserver using the PRTMATE
> port, and then shares the printer via smb -- workgroup CHASS, server
> name HIS-FACLAB, printer name his-fac-lex
> -Router forwards all incoming connections on 137,138,139,445, and 1024
> to DOZE
>
> My linux box (Anarres) is outside the router, but I can browse the
> router's network easily using Smb4K.  I can access all SMB "Shares" on
> DOZE without any problems, and when browsing can see the printer,
> which smb4K tells me is //HIS-FACLAB/his-fac-lex.  But when I try to
> print to the printer (using either CUPS with URI
> smb://HIS-FACLAB/his-fac-lex, or the smb4k native browser), I am
> unable to do so, and get the error "NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL".
> I'm pretty much entirely ignorant about windows so I'm not so sure
> where to go next.  can someone point me in the right direction?

My guess would be that you can't find the server (netbios name service
not working).  Run smbclient //server/printer --debuglevel=10 and look
for more information surrounding the failure.  NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
is the generic "something went wrong" we use in Samba we we aren't given
a specific error back from the server.  Or it's not an obvious error
such as "out of memory".

cheers, jerry