[Samba] RedHat EL 3 rpm spec file and samba 3.0.14a?

Marshall Herington mherington at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:12:11 GMT 2005

Is the RedHat RPM spec file included with the samba-3.0.14a.tar.gz source
files compatible with RedHat EL 3? In other words, are the locations for the
various support directories (/var/lib/samba, /var/cache/samba, etc.) the
same between the RedHat EL 3 version of samba (currently stuck at 3.0.9, I
think) and the official samba.org <http://samba.org> versions?

I would like to upgrade my installation samba beyond the RedHat sanctioned
version in order to take advantage of the new features and significant bug
fixes that have come along recently. Does anyone have experience with this
type of situation?

Thanks,
Marshall