[Samba] Samba Shares With only Partial Access

E Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun Apr 24 02:57:05 GMT 2005

With the "valid users = %S" parameter removed, there is no effect on my
accesses.  However, ahines, from her machine, now gets the incorrect
login dialog when she tries to access the top level share: archive.
Furthermore, I now can get directly into my shared directory (ehines)
directly via the "files" share, as well as by burrowing down from
"archive/ehines."  ahines still sees, though both "archive" and "files,"
and I still see "archive on lserver1" at the top.

Both users have read/write/sticky bit for user and group for their
respective directories, and both users are in the same group (backups).
Other has execute only.

smbclient //lserver1/files -Uehines%password gives me
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE. I get the same thing when I use root or ahines
vice ehines.

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

John H Terpstra wrote:

>On Saturday 23 April 2005 18:50, E Hines wrote:
>

>>I have a 2Win2k, 1Linux (server) LAN; the server is running FC3 and
>>Samba 3.0.14a.  I am unable to get both users access to their individual
>>shares.  Essentially, I'm working through the Accounting Office example
>>(pgs 31-35) of John Terpstra's 2004 Samba-3 By Example, and I'm doing
>>something foolish and wrong on a basic level.  I can get access to, and
>>

>Let's find out what is wrong.
>

>>manipulate the files in, my share (ehines), but neither I, nor the other
>>user, can get access to the other share (ahines).  That I cannot access
>>the other share is correct by the example, but the other user just gets
>>an Access Denied error when trying to access her share (the ahines share).
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>Try removing the "valid users = %S" parameter.
>
>Make certain that the respective users own their directories and have read and
>write access to it.
>
>What happens when you try (from Linux)?:
>
>	smbclient //lserver1/files -Uehines%password
>
>- John T.

<snip>