[Samba] Samba Shares With only Partial Access

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Sun Apr 24 01:24:51 GMT 2005

On Saturday 23 April 2005 18:50, E Hines wrote:
> I have a 2Win2k, 1Linux (server) LAN; the server is running FC3 and
> Samba 3.0.14a.  I am unable to get both users access to their individual
> shares.  Essentially, I'm working through the Accounting Office example
> (pgs 31-35) of John Terpstra's 2004 Samba-3 By Example, and I'm doing
> something foolish and wrong on a basic level.  I can get access to, and

Let's find out what is wrong.

> manipulate the files in, my share (ehines), but neither I, nor the other
> user, can get access to the other share (ahines).  That I cannot access
> the other share is correct by the example, but the other user just gets
> an Access Denied error when trying to access her share (the ahines share).
>
>  From the Linux box, she can access her share directly (cd and ls both
> work), but from her Win2k box, she gets the above error.  From my Win2k
> box, I see "archive" (the parent directory of the shared directory, and
> the parent share of the "files" share) and  "files" (the subordinate
> share) inside lserver1 (lserver1 is the Linux box), and "archive on
> lserver1" up above directly inside My Network Places.  From her Win2k
> box, she sees only lserver1 in MNP, she can see down into her ahines
> share, but she cannot access that.  If this isn't clear, the directory
> structure of the shares is /archive/ehines and /archive/ahines).  Logins
> and pass words inside smbpasswd match those on our respective Win2k boxes.
>
> Further, when either of us tries to access the share "files," we just
> get an incorrect login error and a dialog box inviting us to enter our
> login and password again.

Try removing the "valid users = %S" parameter.

Make certain that the respective users own their directories and have read and
write access to it.

What happens when you try (from Linux)?:

	smbclient //lserver1/files -Uehines%password

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member