[Samba] How to determine the origin of BROWSE.DAT Entries

Scott Swaim scott at qualitycorps.com
Thu Apr 21 19:46:25 GMT 2005

I have a multi domain setup using samba.  I run 3 domains across a VPN
connection.  One is always setup as the master WINS server.  The master
Server is still on 2.2.8a.  All of the other domains are at V3.010.  I
stopped all of the servers this morning and deleted the Browse.dat file.  (I
had a mistake in one of my domains that was conflicting with the he master
wins server)  After I restarted the daemons I now have a couple of
Domain/Workgroup entries that show up in the browse.dat file.  How do I
determine where these came from?  I want to make sure that none of my
machines have been compromised.  When I run smbclient is gives me a list of
additional workgroups and the master for that group but I cannot query those
machines to find the IP address.  Is there any other way to locate the
information that I need?

Thanks in advanced.
Scott Swaim