[Samba] posix acls vs unix groups and nt acls

Collen collen at zeist.hermanjordan.nl
Thu Apr 21 06:56:35 GMT 2005

Well you can use posix acl's, but it's not 100% wind0ws compatible.
you can only set the read, write and execute bits...
(not the modify or other special wind0ws things..)

to use the acl's be sure you have the acl lib's installed..
also be sure your partition/filesystem uses acl (set in the /etc/fstab)

and 3th, your kernel need to be vuild with it, all mayor distro's have
nowday's so i don't think it would be a problem.. (it's standard with th
2.6.XXXX kernels is think)

next, compile samba with acl set (./configure --with-acl-support)
make & make install, and your done

this is just a really short howto, but look at

http://www.bluelightning.org/linux/samba_acl_howto/

for more info on the samba & acl...

Have fun.
Collen